Business Development Coordinator
The Energy Cooperative, headquartered in Newark, Ohio, serves over 67,500 electric, natural gas and propane members throughout east-central Ohio. As a non-profit cooperative, we are member-owned and controlled by the members we serve. We are committed to serving our members safe, high quality energy services at a reasonable price. We believe in our employees and strive to provide fair, honest and equal treatment with a commitment to training, education, and opportunity for advancement in a safe and secure environment.
At The Energy Cooperative, we take pride in offering competitive benefits and want our employees to have what they need to be their best.
Here’s a glimpse of the programs we offer our employees:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance Programs for Employee, Spouse and Children
- Disability Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Paid Time-Off (PTO)
- Paid Holidays
- Traditional 401(k) and Roth 401(k)
- Retirement Pension Plan
- Education Assistance
- Employee Assistance Program
We are currently looking to fill the position of Business Development Coordinator based at our Newark, OH Headquarters Office. The objective of this exempt position is to support the Cooperative’s targeted Key Accounts and Economic Development goals & objectives. The position ensures coordination and implementation of products and services that help key accounts succeed. The position involves all aspects of key account development from initial contact during the “business attraction” stage of economic development efforts to maintaining ongoing relationships. This position will build effective stakeholder engagement strategies with local economic development organizations. An individual in this position will also develop a network of communication with leaders and organizations involved in economic development.
Nature and Scope of Position (Essential Duties and Responsibilities):
- Support and incorporate the Cooperative’s Mission, Vision and Values in personal and professional behavior and decisions.
- Support and promote the Cooperative’s policies, procedures, goals and objectives.
- Understand, observe and enforce the Cooperative’s safety and security procedures and report potentially unsafe conditions to appropriate supervisor and/or safety department personnel.
- Coordinate the operation of the Cooperative’s Key Electric Accounts and Economic Development program.
- Assist in the development and categorization of key accounts by risk, business type, revenue and service needs.
- Visit key accounts on an annual basis to keep an open relationship and identify any needs or concerns that they may have. Perform cost analysis and identify any cost savings measures that may be available to the member including correct rates, energy efficiency opportunities, power factor correction, peak shaving, available rebates, etc.
- Assist with key account special project requests including, but not limited to, renewable projects (i.e. solar, wind, hydro, waste heat, etc.) and energy efficiency upgrade projects.
- Help to identify trends or events that may present additional opportunities or risks and develop programs, proposals and services to capitalize on opportunities and mitigate risks.
- Develop and maintain strategic relationships with key local economic development stakeholders to promote Cooperative service areas and offerings to industry prospects.
- Work with economic development organization partners to promote the Cooperative’s service area as an attractive location for new business/expansion through targeted business recruitment missions.
- Serve as a point of contact for new business prospects and helps coordinate the Cooperative response for specific site selection inquiries.
- Responsible for updating the economic development database that tracks project activities and monthly reporting activities.
- Assist with the implementation of annual and long-term business strategic plans.
- Conduct site visits and maintain a presence in areas of growth and new construction to keep abreast of natural gas, propane, and electric activity in that area. Keep management informed on a timely basis.
- Attend, when requested, economic development meetings and interact with developers and community improvement personnel to keep apprised of potential new business leads for prospective natural gas, propane, and electric members.
- Assist Senior Management in the development and categorization of Key Accounts by risk, business type, revenue, and service needs. Responsible for maintaining the economic development database that tracks project activities and monthly reporting activities.
- Perform other related duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities necessary. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Experience and Education: A bachelor’s degree in engineering, business, communications or related field desired, or an equivalent combination of education, experience and training. Thorough understanding of the Cooperative’s business line operations, utility rates, reliability, renewable energy, demand response, and energy conservation. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications and mapping and billing software. Must complete NRECA course: 487.2 Managing Your Electric Cooperative’s Key Account’s and 489.1 Advanced Key Account Management, within 18 months from hire date.
- Certificates, Licenses and Training: Valid Ohio driver’s license and good driving record required. Must attend a variety of job-related meetings, training seminars or other Cooperative functions when requested which may involve overnight travel. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment and professionalism.
- Language and Interpersonal Skills: Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Persuasively listens and effectively responds to questions in a professional and appropriate manner. Excellent demeanor and approach. Maintains integrity, professionalism, and fair and honest dealing in negotiations. Present oneself well in front of groups.
- Other Skills and Abilities: Has a thorough understanding of Cooperative’s goals and objectives. Displays high standards of ethical conduct and is widely trusted and viewed as a direct and truthful person. Effective problem solver. Must be a self-starter and require minimal supervision. Basic understanding of community resources and development needs. Thorough understanding of economic development principles and practices.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Some work is performed in an office environment where climate and noise levels are controlled. Other work is performed outside which may include working in adverse weather conditions, difficult and uneven terrain, and extensive driving.
- The physical demands of this position include frequent sitting, standing, walking, talking, hearing, visual acuity and mental and emotional demands.
- Must be available to work during non-working hours which may include weekends and holidays.
- This position is subject to a pre-employment drug and physical testing as well as drug testing during the course of employment based upon the Cooperative’s Drug Free Workplace Policy.