Gas Controller / Dispatch Trainee
The Energy Cooperative, headquartered in Newark, Ohio, serves over 67,500 electric, natural gas and propane members throughout east-central Ohio. As a non-profit cooperative, we are member-owned and controlled by the members we serve. We are committed to serving our members safe, high quality energy services at a reasonable price. We believe in our employees and strive to provide fair, honest and equal treatment with a commitment to training, education, and opportunity for advancement in a safe and secure environment.
At The Energy Cooperative, we take pride in offering competitive benefits and want our employees to have what they need to be their best.
Here’s a glimpse of the programs we offer our employees:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance Programs for Employee, Spouse and Children
- Disability Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Paid Time-Off (PTO)
- Paid Holidays
- Traditional 401(k) and Roth 401(k)
- Retirement Pension Plan
- Education Assistance
- Employee Assistance Program
We are currently looking to fill the position of Dispatch Trainee based at our Headquarters Office in Newark, OH. This is a non-exempt, technical position within the bargaining unit responsible for monitoring and controlling gas system pressures and flow rates via a SCADA system. This position also provides direction to field personnel on dispatching of emergency calls, service outages, and utility locates. Progression is required to attain Lead Dispatcher status from Dispatcher Trainee as outlined in the Agreement with International Union of Operating Engineers Local 18-S.
Nature and Scope of Position (Essential Duties and Responsibilities):
- Monitor system flow rates and pressures via SCADA system and other software, make adjustments to meet demand requirements and maintain system pressures, and balance system supply in accordance with provided gas plan.
- Assign and dispatch crews to service outages via Outage Management System to ensure safe and efficient service restoration.
- Document operational information in MS Access database, communicate with and/or dispatch personnel over company-wide radio or mobile phone regarding abnormal operating conditions, readings, information, service outages, etc.
- Answer telephone calls both during and after regular business hours that may be related to emergency situations, service outages, after hour customer inquiries, etc. Monitor building security after regular business hours.
- Enter data and generate reports in MS Excel that summarizes various supply sources and delivery points throughout the system.
- Investigate Ohio 811 facility locate requests and dispatch to the appropriate field personnel for identification.
- Ability to learn and retain knowledge of Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration’s (PHMSA) Control Room Management regulations and follow departmental procedures and company Operations & Maintenance (O&M) manual for compliance purposes.
- As part of a 24-7 staffed department, this position requires an individual to work rotating shifts, including nights, weekends, and holidays. Overtime and short-notice changes to the regular work schedule may occur in order to maintain adequate staffing and compliance with PHMSA regulations.
- Perform related work as required and other duties as may be assigned provided the work and duties coincide with employee’s qualifications.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactory. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities necessary. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and/or Experience: Associate degree in a technical field or equivalent work experience within the natural gas or pipeline industry is preferred. Must have experience with computers and Microsoft Office software. Basic understanding of natural gas transmission and distribution systems is a plus.
- Certifications, Licenses and/or Training: Valid State of Ohio driver’s license along with a good driving record. Attend industry training, short courses and seminars as requested. Must pass and maintain training associated with Department of Transportation’s (DOT) Operator Qualification program and PHMSA’s Control Room Management regulations.
- Language Skills: Possess strong oral and written communication skills and effectively communicate information to others, as needed. Prepare and interpret a variety of business materials to both internal and external sources.
- Other Skills and Abilities: Performs well under stress, when confronted with emergency, critical, or unusual situations. Displays high standards of ethical conduct and is widely trusted and is viewed as a direct and truthful person. Maintains sensitive information with a high level of confidentiality. Ability to think critically, make successful generalizations, evaluations, or decisions based on sensory or judgmental criteria. Ability to multitask, often changing from one task to another of a different nature, without loss of efficiency or composure. Requires minimal supervision.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work is performed primarily in an inside office environment where climate and noise levels are controlled. No known hazards exist. The physical demands of this position include frequent sitting, standing, talking, hearing, visual ability and mental and emotional demands.
- This position is subject to pre-employment physical and substance abuse testing and is subject to random testing in accordance with the Cooperative’s substance abuse policy.