ROW Worker ( Line Clearance Tree Trimmer)
The Energy Cooperative, headquartered in Newark, Ohio, serves over 67,500 electric, natural gas and propane members throughout east-central Ohio. As a non-profit cooperative, we are member-owned and controlled by the members we serve. We are committed to serving our members safe, high quality energy services at a reasonable price. We believe in our employees and strive to provide fair, honest and equal treatment with a commitment to training, education, and opportunity for advancement in a safe and secure environment.
At The Energy Cooperative, we take pride in offering competitive benefits and want our employees to have what they need to be their best.
Here’s a glimpse of the programs we offer our employees:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance Programs for Employee, Spouse and Children
- Disability Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Paid Time-Off (PTO)
- Paid Holidays
- Traditional 401(k) and Roth 401(k)
- Retirement Pension Plan
- Education Assistance
- Employee Assistance Program
We are currently looking to fill the position of Right-of-Way Worker for our Utica, OH Service Center. This position is responsible for safe operation of vehicles and equipment to assist line crews in the construction, maintenance and operation of overhead and underground lines by clearing and maintaining right-of-ways. Work is performed under general supervision and is checked by observation to ensure compliance with all safety standards and regulations.
Nature and Scope of Position (Essential Duties and Responsibilities):
- Support and incorporate the Cooperative’s Mission, Vision and Values in personal and professional behavior and decisions; models enthusiastic behavior.
- Comply with all Cooperative policies, procedures, goals and objectives and meets attendance and punctuality guidelines.
- Understand, observe and enforce the cooperative’s safety and security procedures and reports potentially unsafe conditions to department supervisor and/or safety department personnel.
- Climb and/or fell trees in order to remove branches which are interfering or have the potential to interfere with electric power lines. Mow, trim, cut or spray as is necessary to clear right-of-way. Dispose of waste and brush appropriately.
- Safely operate a chain saw and other cutting equipment required to perform right-of-way clearance. Operate other equipment such as company vehicle, brush chipper, Ariel bucket truck, skid steer and tractor and observe all safety practices.
- Treat members and the general public with respect and display professional and courteous member relations. Notify homeowners when right-of-way crews are working in a given area through the placement of door knockers or other approved notification methods approved by the cooperative.
- Properly place appropriate road signs, traffic cones, barricades and rotating beacons along the right-of-way on highways and roads and flag traffic when required.
- Perform work after regular working hours and on Saturdays, Sundays, and company-observed holidays and respond quickly to all outage and emergency situations when requested.
- Performs other related work in addition to other duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactory. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities necessary. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Experience and Education: High school diploma or equivalent GED, one-year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Must be able to perform Ariel rescue and bucket rescue techniques, or successfully complete within one year of employment.
- Certificates, Licenses and Training: Must possess and maintain a valid state of Ohio, Class A, Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) and good driving record, or have the ability to obtain within six months of employment. Must be trained and certified in CPR and First Aid. Ability to attend meetings and/or training seminars when requested.
- Language and Interpersonal Skills: Ability to read and comprehend documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals and apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form. Ability to write simple correspondence and completed required paperwork. Ability to effectively present information to others when needed.
- Other Skills and Abilities: Ability to work with minimal supervision and work well with other employees and/or contractors. Ability to safely utilize the use of tools, power and non-power, commonly used in the trimming and spraying of trees and foliage. Knowledge of knot tying and rigging. Knowledge of hazardous chemicals used in the spraying of tree stumps. Complies with all safety practices and regulatory guidelines outlined by the cooperative and/or utility industry.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- An employee in this position would regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds and frequently lift and/or move more than 100 pounds with the help of others.
- While performing this job an individual is regularly exposed to a loud work environment and must utilize appropriate hearing protection. Other exposures may include moving mechanical parts, high and precarious places, risk of electrical shock, vibration resulting from equipment, fumes or airborne particles, and outside adverse weather conditions.
- Must be available for announced or unannounced overtime work to respond to call-out work during non-working hours, outages and emergencies.
- This position is subject to pre-employment physical and substance abuse testing and may be subject to random testing in accordance with the Cooperative’s substance abuse policy.